Friday 25 September 2015

Chapter 1






"You could just meet him," Spencer says for about the millionth time. 
"No. Just forget about it. I don't want to be set up with anyone. I don't care who it is." I tell him for probably the millionth time.
"He's really nice," Spencer says.
"Great. Then he doesn't need your help  finding someone."
"I give up!" he says finally.
"So what are we doing tonight?" Amanda asks us.
I'm actually happy just to stay home tonight. Hanging out with my two best friends.
"Food. I'm starving," Spencer says.
"You're always starving" I mumble.
"What was that? Meek Little Mara, you can't be a sarcastic bitch and be meek about it. You have to be a loud mouthed bitch," he says.
"Her? Never," Amanda says.
I sigh. "What are we doing tonight?"
"Let's just go hang out downtown. Walk around, get something to eat. A few drinks," he says. "And then maybe you'll want to meet my friend," he says to me.
"Is he hot? Set me up with him if he is," Amanda says.
"He's hot I guess. All the girls always seem to think so," he starts to say.
"Ok yeah, so not my type. Sounds like a stuck up douchebag," I say.
"He's not though. He's...well he's...he umm...needs someone...special," he says.
"Ok forget it. Sounds too complicated to me already," Amanda tells him.
"He needs the perfect person. And he'll be perfect for her," Spencer says.
"And her foot fits the shoe, he kisses her awake, blah blah blah. There are no perfect world fairy tales. Life sucks and you die. And if you're lucky you have some good times, and great friends," I say.
"Aren't you just a ray of sunshine tonight," he says to me.
Spencer leans close to Amanda. "Let's get her laid. I think it's been way too long."

I go find my sandals and sit on my bed to put them on. Why is Spencer so insistent about me meeting his friend. He's tried to a couple times before, but I'm not interested. I'm really picky. Maybe. Or maybe I just want to be free to do what I want.
Honestly...I think everyone thinks me and Spencer will end up together, even my parents. I've know him for years, since we were in high school together. He's the sweetest guy I've ever known. Kind, and very generous. And yes he's very nice looking.
In high school he kept his dirty blond hair long, but now he keeps it super short. He has me shave his head about every six weeks keeping his hair under an inch long.
He always has a goatee, well almost always, sometimes he gets too bothered to keep nice facial hair and just shaves it all off.
When I said he was sweet and kind, I think it's because he has these beautiful hazel eyes that make him look sweet and kind. I mean, he really is sweet and kind too, but his eyes really portray that.
BUT we'll never be anything more than friends...best friends. I love him dearly, but I'm not in love with him. I don't have those kind of feelings for him.
Amanda pokes her head in my room. "Are you ready, Spencer is starving," she says and laughs.
"Yeah, give me a minute," I reply.
I really don't feel like going anywhere. This loser friend of Spencer's better not show up. If Spencer set me up I'm going to be pissed.

We walk down the street to find somewhere to eat.
After sitting and eating, and drinking for nearly three hours, I honestly don't care if Spencer wants to set me up or not. I am feeling no pain at all. Not drunk, just in a good mood.
We run into a friend of Spencer's, not the friend though. I have to admit, I'm relieved, but a little sad too.
The four of us walk around. There's a lot going on in the streets at night. Drinking even though you're not supposed to have open containers. A lot of entertainers. Somehow we lose Spencer and his friend Dave.
We stand on a corner watching for Spencer and Dave to come by, but also watching the people playing. Two guys and a girl. The girl is singing, one guy playing a drum, the other playing guitar.
The guitar player is gorgeous. I swear when I first saw him, time slowed down. I heard angels singing and harps playing. Our eyes locked and neither of us could look away.
In reality though, I thought he was hot, stared at him, ran into the back of Amanda when she stopped and made a fool of myself. Mr Guitar player smiled and slightly laughed. I turned a million shades of red and looked away quickly.
We stay there trying to find Spencer and Dave and yes I watch Mr Beautiful Guitar Player too. He really is beautiful. And seems to be a pretty good guitar player. He is so tiny, at least compared to the other guy. He isn't much taller than the girl. Both are taller than me, not by much.
It's getting kind of chilly now that the sun is going down. I still wore sandals and shorts though, I always dress wrong for the weather, but dress to be cute. He was much smarter, although his clothing choices are a bit strange. He has on shorts, but some sort of leggings, or long underwear on under the shorts. A short sleeve tee, but under it is either a long sleeve tee or a long underwear shirt.
Slouchy boot socks and old banged up Dr Martens complete his outfit.
They finish the song. He pulls up a bunch of his hair to the top, sorta back of his head and puts it into a messy little man bun. I don't normally like men with ponytails, or a man bun, but I think I may have gasped when he put his hair up. His hair was beautiful before. Long, curly, brown hair. Down a little past his shoulders. Curly, but very messy too. I would say it hasn't seen a brush in a long time. But now all pulled up, well most of it pulled up, into this messy little man bun, it's even more beautiful if that's possible.
They all talk for a minute before starting another song. I really hope we don't see Spencer any time soon. I know that makes me a horrible person, but I could watch this guitar player all night.
"Should we go look for them?" Amanda asks me.
I shrug my shoulders. "Let's give them a little more time. At least until this song is over."
"Yeah? You like them?" she asks me looking over at my guitar player and his friends.
"They seem ok."
She watches, listens for a minute. "Yeah, maybe."
I watch this little man. This little adorable man. He seems to be having fun. And I am having fun watching him. He leans over and says something to the girl. She smiles at him. I wonder if there's something going on between them? She says something to him, he looks up at me, smiles, then looks back at her. Oh my god he must have noticed me watching him. I want to die now.
"We should probably go" I tell Amanda.
"What? Why now? Do you see them?" she asks.
"Come on" I say grabbing her hand and pulling her down the street. "We can just call him."
"Oh yeah. Why didn't we think of that before?"
I call Spencer and we meet him and Dave at a place down the street. We all walk back to our apartment.
We all drink a little when we get there. They all talk, I can't get my mind off of my little guitar player. He was just so cute. I wonder if he's down there often playing guitar? Wonder if he'll be there tomorrow? I wonder if him and the girl are together? I hope not! Of course I'll never do anything but stand and stare at him, from farther away next time so he can't see me. I wish I wasn't so shy, but I am and probably always will be.

1 comment: